Staff Reporter

Coimbatore: Four members of a family including two children were saved by the police team by breaking open the door of the house in the first floor, which was engulfed by fire and thick smoke.

K.G. Sagar working in a private firm in Sai Baba Colony was living in a house at Sri Sathyasai Nagar in Podanur area.

In the small hours of Friday, Mr. Sagar found a thick smoke at his bed room where he was along with his wife Meenakshi (39) and two children Vamika (13) and Deshna (3).

When Mr. Sagar tried to open the bed room door for an escape route, he found the entire hall having been ravaged by fire that could have possibly broken out owing to an electrical short circuit.

Mr. Sagar called up the police control room around 3.40 a.m.

Even as the fire tenders were rushing to the scene , S. Namasivayam, Podanur Police Inspector, along with his team who were on night patrol stormed into the house by breaking open the main door within a few minutes. The personnel braved through the thick smoke and rescued the family drawing loud appreciation from the residents.

The police are planning to honour the police personnel for the risk and bravery displayed in saving four lives.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL