Police beat up protesters near Rangasamy’s house

Special Correspondent
print   ·   T  T  

Workers removed from service were seeking reinstatement

Retrenched workers being chased away in Puducherry on Saturday.— Photo: Special Arrangement
Retrenched workers being chased away in Puducherry on Saturday.— Photo: Special Arrangement

Police on Saturday resorted to lathicharge to disperse a crowd which had gathered near Chief Minister N. Rangasamy’s house on Vinayagar Street here.

Many protesters, who were ousted workers of various government corporations and bodies, were injured.

Trouble broke out when the workers, who were removed from service soon after the N.R. Congress government assumed office, engaged with heated exchange with the Chief Minister. They questioned him for not failing to keep his promise on reinstating all of them.

Some of Mr. Rangasamy’s followers raised objection to the “unruly behaviour” of the protesters. Fearing a clash, policemen chased them away using force.

Eyewitnesses said the protestors were chased for a distance of about half a km. Many ran into nearby houses to escape from the police. Some of the injured were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Protesting against the police action, a group of protesters blocked traffic on Vazhuthavur Road. Police swung into action and arrested more than 100 persons and took them to the police station.

Condemning the incident, the protesters said that the police indiscriminately attacked them, including women, without any provocation. They came to meet the Chief Minister to represent the cause of about 4,000 ousted workers. Though Mr. Rangasamy had promised several times that all of them would be reinstated, he didn’t keep up his word, the alleged. They were attacked for raising their voice and claiming their rights.

Later, Union Minister of State in Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy met the protesters and condemned the police action, terming it as a “brutal attack.”

Stating that the attack on protesters was a case of human rights violation, Mr. Narayanasamy said he would lodge complaint with the authorities concerned.

Eyewitnesses said agitators were chased for about half a km




Recent Article in TAMIL NADU

Peace returns to villages after temple row

: After two days of tension over Dalit participation in two temple kumbabishekams , normality returned to villages o... »