One person was killed and four members of a family sustained severe burn injuries in a fire ignited by gas leak at their residence here on Monday.

The deceased was identified as Nitish (2).

The injured were Arumugam (37), his wife, Radhamani (30), Sindhu (9), and Arumugam's elder sibling, Prakash (38).

Police sources said the incident took place while they were fast asleep inside the house at Sathya Colony in the city.

The fire might have been ignited due to some spark that caught the gas leaked out from the LPG cylinder kept inside the house.

The Tirupur North police are investigating.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL