One person suffered burns and a two-wheeler was gutted in a minor fire that broke out at a petrol pump in Kullanampatti village on the Dindigul-Natham Main Road on Thursday afternoon.
The accident occurred when petrol suddenly spilled over the vehicle’s tank and caught fire when it came in contact with the vehicle’s heated engine. I. Jesu, who was sitting on the moped, jumped and ran for safety while the bunk operator swiftly pulled out the petrol gun from the tank. One of the staff members switched off the engine pushing petrol from the main tank while another extinguished the fire on the vehicle.
Jesu, a street vendor, suffered burns on his right hand while the hair on his chest and head were singed. Cash of Rs.4,000 and consumer durables kept in the rear seat of the moped were completely gutted in the fire, he said.