Two huts were gutted in the district on Wednesday. According to police, huts were gutted and household articles were damaged when sparks from firework display fell on the houses of Britto, an autorickshaw driver, and Muthukrishnan, a casual worker of Sathya Nagar near Edalakudi.
Fire tenders rushed to the spot to extinguish the fire.
A coconut tree in front of Rajasekar's house at Eethamozhi and another one in front of the house of Kalaivanan on Vallalar Street at Kottar were damaged when rockets (a form of firecracker) fell on the trees.
A heap of haystack at Kattimancode was fully damaged when sparks from fireworks fell on it.
The fire tenders from Thuckalay rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.