Staff Reporter

VIRUDHUNAGAR: M. Vasuki, a four-year-old girl of Koovarkulam, near Mukkulam here, died allegedly due to food poisoning.

While locals claimed that the girl succumbed to chicken pox, investigation by officials of Health Department revealed that it was due to food poisoning. The family had recently been to Madurai to attend a festival, where they had consumed meat in an unhygienic condition, causing food poison. The family members had not given her any medical treatment, following which she died.

Five others, including two children and an aged woman, who complained of diarrhoea, were admitted to different hospitals.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL