Four persons died reportedly after inhaling toxic gas while cleaning an effluent collection tank in a dyeing unit at Chainnakarai on the city outskirts on Wednesday evening. The deceased were identified as Velmurugan (25), a native of Vilathikulam in Tuticorin district; Lakshmanan (25) from Dindigul; Maruthakalai (40) of Theni and Ammavasai (42) of Tirupur.
Police sources said Maruthakalai amd Ammavasai first entered the tank to clean the tank, which is normally done before Deepavali.
Seeing them faint, the other two jumped into the tank but they too fell unconscious. All of them died in the District Headquarters Hospital here.
The Palladam police have registered a case.