Do you feel vulnerable when a gang of thugs with political support tries to grab your land? And do the policemen frustrate you by not registering cases?

“You need not worry. We are here” are the words of consolation from a group of social and human rights activists of Salem city who has floated a rights' body, which will take up cases of the helpless general public and victims of violence, especially of those who are treated badly by the police personnel when they go to police stations to prefer complaints against such atrocities. The members of the forum – Committee to Make Police Initiate Action against Rowdies and Anti-Socials – have asked the common man to approach them without any inhibitions if they encounter any problem in police stations.

They told ‘The Hindu' that whenever the victims failed to receive proper legal response from the policemen, the committee would step in to provide them not only safety but also legal remedy. They claimed that any sort of intimidation by police could be brought to their notice.

One of committee members P. Mayan said in many police stations, policemen were reluctant to file FIRs in cases related to land grabbing and other illegal activities such as abductions for ransom. “We have already received two such complaints against a police official in Kondalampatti police station,” he said. The public can contact the following numbers in case of emergency: 968858225; 9443248582; 9443086409 or 9443482201.