: A.Shanmugaraja alias Sekar (30) of Thalai Pannaiyur near Aathoor, a fitter engaged for work at a factory owned by DCW Limited at Sahupuram here, died when a tank containing sulphuric acid exploded on the company premises .
According to Arumuganeri police, the incident occurred around 2.30 p.m. on Sunday and it was reported to the police only at around 12.30 a.m. on Monday.
Based on a complaint lodged by his colleague C.Sudhakar (34) of Kumara Pannaiyur, Aathoor, a case was filed against Maheswaran of Rishi Engineering Works, who had asked Sekar to work for the DCW.
When contacted, G.Srinivasan, senior vice-president, DCW Ltd, said it was a gross negligence on the part of the worker, who removed a bolt from the lid of the sulphuric acid tank using an unauthorised cutting torch.
Actually, he was supposed to remove the bolt manually, but he used the cutting torch, the sparks from which raised the temperature inside the tank, and ultimately caused the explosion, he said.
A compensation of Rs.10 lakh was given to the family of Sekar, and the company would provide a job to his younger brother, Srinivasan added.