Special Correspondent

CHENNAI: Fire fighters rescued people trapped on the first floor of a building on Santhome High Road after a fire broke out in ground floor on Wednesday.

According to police, the fire occurred in a nationalised bank due to an electric short-circuit. As thick smoke and flames engulfed the staircase leading to the first and second floors where many private offices were located, dozens of people were trapped. Fire and Rescue Services personnel extinguished the fire and rescued them.

Nobody was injured in the incident and the extent of damage was being assessed, the sources said.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL