A female elephant was electrocuted in an agricultural field in Thalavadi forest range in Erode district on Tuesday.
Forest officials said the eight-year-old elephant was one among the herd that raided a cucumber field at Paiyanapuram village.
The field belonged to Karuppannan, a farmer.
It was said that the elephant accidentally pulled a live wire connecting the motor pumpset in the field when it suffered electric shock and died on the spot.
A detailed inquiry into the incident had been ordered, the officials said.