The maiden Travel Mart has been initiated by Air India Express in association with Tamil Nadu Tourism / Pondicherry Tourism and Malaysian Tourism Board and the meeting to be held on 21 May, 2011 at Hotel Sangam.
The objective of having a Travel Mart is to promote travel and tourism and to create awareness in the market so that the potential market available in Central District and South Tamil Nadu is tapped and thereby, the city is well placed in tourism development.
The main beneficiary will be the Central and Southern districts of Tamil Nadu and since Trichy is centrally located having major industries like BHEL, Cethar Vessels, and Fabrication Industries, TVS Bus Body Building , SRF etc.
The existing infrastructure facilities need to be further developed and the Government must play a major role in the development of more air / train / bus connectivity apart from keeping the city well cleaned. In view of forth coming IT Park and development in economy and high disposal income of the society needs to be utilized. Being the religious and historical city well connected by road to Tanjore / Kumbakonam / Nagore / Veilankanni apart from nearby Meenakshi Temple at Madurai and down south, tourist attracted hill resort town – Kodaikkanal and further down south religiously important destination like Rameswaram.
While all the data are available in website of Tamil Nadu / Pondicherry Tourism, it is also the responsibility of supporting agencies who promote such tourism attraction by conducting Travel Mart and Road Shows.
The increase in traffic and movement of aircraft would definitely assist further change the profile of the city and the nearby Madurai is also awaiting international operation soon. The introduction of international flights ex-Madurai would also attract more tourism towards Central districts and the following key point's needs to be addressed by the appropriate authorities on priority basis:
- Increase in more international destinations mainly to Muscat / Kuwait / Sharjah and introduction of new service from Madurai to Singapore / Kualalumpure and Male linking both cities.
- Introduction of domestic triangular service between Bangalore / Trichy / Madurai – Bangalore and Bangalore / Madurai / Trichy – Bangalore in view of increase in IT development and more movement of domestic travelers as there is hardly other mode of service is available for the commuters
- Establishment of more Tourist attraction like Rope Car facility connecting Rock Fort to Srirangam / more convention centre / Boating facilities and development of Mukkombu and Kallanai etc.
- More STAR hotels to accommodate the growing need of air connectivity requirement in terms of accommodation of Crew and Layover of passengers etc.
- Presently, a total of 58 international flights to Singapore / Kualalumpur / Dubai / Abudhabi / Colombo and 28 domestic flights only to Chennai per week are being operated.
- Establishment of Cargo Complex at Trichy airport would help to develop domestic products internationally and vice versa creating more employment opportunities and indirectly contributing to the national exchequer.
- To create awareness among the travelling public about the holiday package available, we need to provide an opportunity to travel and trade including the industries to enhance the business opportunities.
- Best medical treatment and more number of hospitals available in the region at a competitive rates for various treatment provide an opportunity to the customers to visit the city including more number of customers visit from North Eastern
- Education Tourism both domestic and international travel is in increase due to an awareness created in the market and more number of institutions would like to visit neighboring countries and we need to create regular awareness in the market.
- There is a huge ethnic traffic is available especially for Kualalumpur / Penang in nearby districts of Trichy and Madurai
- Regular interaction with leading tour operators and travel agents in association with the airlines would definitely help for further increase in traffic to Kualalumpur and Singapore.
- Most of the leisure travelers prefer to travel both GULF and South East Asian Countries
- VISA on arrival at KUL would further assist in increase in traffic, which needs to be considered by Malaysian Government
- To create an awareness about more pilgrimage centres nearby Trichy, Tanjore / Kumbakonam – Navagraha Temples / Nagore / Veilankanni and nearby tourist town like Kodaikkanal
- Road shows / Publicity Materials with complete information about tourism interests in the region to be made available frequently especially at Madurai and Trichy
- Introduction of direct service to Madurai Via Chennai would be more ideal for further increase in traffic to South East Asian Countries and GULF countries and the operation at Madurai would in no way affect Trichy market
- The exchange of information between Tour Operators and the airlines would provide an opportunity for more business and leisure traffic.
The event is to jointly ensure that Trichy and Madurai region are well placed in the tourism map so that more in flow of international traffic visit to the cities and we earn considerable amount of additional revenue.
The event, which we hope to become a regular yearly event and in future more participation of international and domestic tourism board to the city and will make the city in future to become the most preferred tourist destination in Southern India.