Staff Reporter

COIMBATORE: The ‘continuing education’ programme aims to make Coimbatore a 100 per cent literate district, District Collector Neeraj Mittal said at a meeting here recently.

The district recorded 69 per cent literacy, based on the 2001 census. The percentage of literacy among men was 76 and that of women 62. The focus of the programme, in the next five years, would be to cover the remaining 31 per cent, he said.

According to an official release, the district administration plans to set up 956 continuing education centres across the district. The Centre has allotted Rs.5.4 crore towards the programme. In addition to this, Rs.3.24 lakh has also been sanctioned for the special literacy programme for women. In the next five years, the programme aimed at educating more number of children, youth and adults, enhancing their income and thereby raising their living standards. The programme is to reach out to people within the 15 to 45 age group who were totally illiterate or have had non-formal education or had dropped out of school. Those who wished to continue their education throughout their life could also participate. The continuing education centres would serve the purpose of a library. They could also be a platform for deliberating on issues concerning public welfare and through that resolve public issues.The concept of continuing education (Arivoli Iyakkam) was started in 1992 when the census taken the year before revealed that 6.2 lakh people between the age group of 6 and 45 were illiterate.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL