Her wedding with an Adi Dravidar boy prompted her father to commit suicide

In a curious turn of events, N. Divya, a 21-year-old caste Hindu girl, whose wedding with an Adi Dravidar boy prompted her father to commit suicide leading to large-scale violence in Dharmapuri district on November 7 last year, told the Madras High Court on Thursday that she would like to stay with her mother, before taking an appropriate decision.

When a habeas corpus petition (HCP) filed by her mother came up before a Division Bench comprising Justices M. Jaichandren and M. M. Sundresh, the girl told the Bench that she was “in a highly disturbed state of mind due to the incidents that had taken place in the recent past.” Therefore, she would like to stay with her mother. She also made it clear that she did not want to talk to her husband, Ilavarasan (19), at present.

Following this, the Bench ordered that the girl was at liberty to stay with her mother. It would be open to the girl and Mr. Ilavarasan to request the police authorities concerned for protection to them. If such requests were made, the police should provide sufficient protection, the court ruled.

The matter has been posted for July 1.

In the petition, Ms. Divya’s mother Thenmozhi of Chellankottai in Dharmapuri district said that her daughter was studying a nursing course in a private college at Dharmapuri. She alleged that her daughter was kidnapped by Mr. Ilavarasan and others for ransom on October 8 last year.

The petitioner said the complaint made by her husband Nagaraj to the police was in vain. Subsequently, he committed suicide. On November 20, she made a complaint to the Dharmapuri Superintendent of Police. A case was registered. It was pending without progress, the petitioner said. Following Mr.Nagaraj’s death, there was a large-scale violence.

Mrs.Thenmozhi said that on November 23, Ms. Divya was produced before the Judicial Magistrate No. II, Dharmapuri, and was set at liberty. Thereafter, she was not aware of her daughter’s whereabouts.

A week ago, Ms Divya contacted her on cell phone and informed her that she faced threat to her life from her husband and other persons. She made a complaint to the Superintendent of Police, but no action was taken.

She said her daughter was being forcibly detained by Mr.Ilavarasan and others. She sought a direction to the police to produce her daughter before the court and set her at liberty.

When the matter came up, Ms.Divya was present. Mr.Ilavarasan was also present in the court with his mother. The Bench enquired with Ms. Divya.

A counsel said Mr.Ilavarasan wanted to talk to her. When the Bench enquired with Ms.Divya, she said she was not interested in talking to him.

The boy’s counsel submitted that a complaint had been filed with the police (this month) that the girl had been kidnapped and an FIR had also been registered.

Mrs.Thenmozhi’s counsel submitted that when Nagaraj went to the police in connection with the inter-caste marriage, he was abused by a police official there.