Colachel MLA J.G. Prince has demanded the railway authorities to take steps for double tracking of the entire Kanyakumari–Chennai Egmore line by announcing the work on the Kanyakumari–Madurai stretch in the upcoming Railway Budget.
Speaking to The Hindu on Saturday , Mr.Prince said in Tamil Nadu the most important railway route was the 742 kilometre-long Chennai–Tiruchi–Madurai–Kanyakumari route, which covered almost all the districts, either directly and indirectly.
This route achieved the maximum revenue collection for the Southern Railway zone.
Besides, this route connected highly industrialised places.
All the trains running in this route were fully booked, and the single track made the introduction of the new trains impossible, he pointed out.
“The single track also hampers the fast movement of goods, causing a lot of problems for the industries and the business community. The stretches between Chennai Egmore and Chengalpattu (56 km), and Dindigul and Madurai (62 km) have been double tracked and inaugurated. But the progress of the work on several stretches in this route is very slow due to lack of funds. Hence, the authorities should allocate necessary funds to complete the work by 2014,” he said.
The Railway Ministry had already sanctioned a survey for double tracking of the Madurai-Kanyakumari section, but the work had not yet started.
For better connectivity
He demanded a viable proposal to double track the Madurai-Kanyakumari and Vanchi Maniyachi-Tuticorin stretches, which would provide better connectivity to the Tuticorin and Cochin ports.