Staff Reporter

CHENNAI: A Chennai Corporation employee was electrocuted while at work in Kalyanapuram slum colony near Elephant Gate in North Chennai on Wednesday. Two Corporation officials, who were supervising the workers when the accident happened, have been suspended.

According to officials, P. Perumal, 39, was electrocuted while trying to shift a rusted lamp-post in a narrow lane in Kalyanapuram.

He was working with five others when the mishap occurred. A junior engineer and an assistant divisional engineer were supervising the work.

They had dug out the lamp-post and were trying to bring down the structure when Perumal came in contact with a live wire, which officials say was used by residents to illegally tap electricity. The illegal connections were reportedly removed immediately after the accident happened. Elephant Gate police are investigating the case.

The Madras Corporation Red Flag Union, meanwhile, has demanded safer working conditions for civic agency employees.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL