Relatives of the deceased say it was not suicide as claimed

The death of a textile worker, S. Subramanian (35), allegedly by hanging on the company premises sparked off controversy here on Thursday with his relatives resorting to road blockade agitation in front of the District Headquarters Hospital where the body was kept in the mortuary.

The kin raised suspicion that it was not a suicide as claimed by the police and the owner of the textile unit where Subramanian, a native of Sankarankoil in Tirunelveli district, was employed, due to the manner in which the body was taken to the hospital mortuary and because of non-registration of first information report (FIR) in the case, despite the death having occurred more than 24 hours before, on Wednesday morning.

K. Paramasivam, an uncle of Subramanian’s wife who arrived from Sankarankoil, said the unit owner did not inform the family of the death.

“It was only when Subramanian’s wife made a routine call to her spouse’s mobile to know of his well-being, that she was informed of his death by a policeman who answered the call.


“After that, the body was dumped into the mortuary before the relatives arrived on the spot,” he claimed.

The kin also countered the police version that no FIR was registered because of the lack of any formal complaint.

R. Chandrasekar, one of the partners of the said unit, clarified to The Hindu that they had given a formal complaint to the police on Wednesday itself.

“The said worker has been staying inside the company building during night. On Wednesday morning, the door had been locked from inside and we entered by breaking open the door only to find Subramanian dead by killing himself.

“While police, who arrived on the spot after being informed by us of the incident, were investigating the crime scene, Subramanian’s wife called and the policeman told her of the incident,” he clarified.

Another relative of his raised doubts about the authenticity of a suicide note, reportedly recovered from the unit.

The police officials said preliminary investigation indicated that it was not murder.

“The deceased has been suffering from cancer and also had personal problems,” police officials said.

Mangalam police on Thursday finally registered a case under Section 174 of Cr.PC. (Death under suspicious circumstances).