Special Correspondent

TAMBARAM: A one-year-old male child in Pallikaranai, who consumed kerosene accidentally on Tuesday, died on Wednesday night.

According to the Pallikaranai police, Jaffer Ali, a daily wage earner, is a resident of Mylai Balaji Nagar, off Velachery Main Road. On Tuesday morning, his only son, Souber Ali, was playing in his house when he accidentally stumbled on a bottle of kerosene and had a couple of gulps. On noticing this, his parents rushed him to a private hospital in Pallikaranai. After first aid there, the child was taken to the Children's Hospital in Egmore.

The boy succumbed to the acute injuries sustained in the food track and stomach.

Woman run over

A woman was killed in a road accident near Anna Nagar on Wednesday.

According to police sources, Baskar (50), Sub-Inspector in the Porur police station, and his wife Poosa (40) were going to Ambattur on a motorcycle when a speeding lorry knocked them down at Thiruvalleeswarar Nagar. While the woman suffered grievous injuries and died on the way to hospital, Baskar escaped with minor injuries. The lorry driver fled from the scene.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL