A two-and-half-year-old boy died after having his lunch at an anganwadi in Ashok Nagar on Thursday.

The child, a resident of Five Lights area in Rangarajapuram, is believed to have choked on his food. He was taken by the anganwadi workers to a nearby clinic.

The doctor there referred the child to Institute of Child Health (ICH).

Karthikeyan was brought to the ICH by his uncle around 1.20 p.m. but doctors declared him ‘brought dead’ and made an entry in the accident registry. The ICH conducted a preliminary investigation, informed the Ashok Nagar police about the death and handed over the body to the police

Karthikeyan’s father Veeramani is a daily wager earner and his mother Selvi is a domestic help.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL