Special Correspondent

Kidnapper’s friend arrested and search launched for main culprit

TAMBARAM: A seven-year-old boy, who was kidnapped from his house in Manali New Town on Tuesday, was rescued at Koyambedu on Sunday evening.

A search is still on for the main suspect, a relative of the boy, while an accomplice was arrested.

Briefing reporters on Monday, Chennai Suburban Police Commissioner S.R.Jangid said P.Kishore, a television mechanic, complained to Manali New Town police that Prabhu (32) related to his wife, had taken his son Sabarish (7) to a market near his house on Tuesday afternoon under the pretext of buying him a chocolate but did not return even in the evening.

Prabhu, father of two children, was working as a supervisor in a liquor store in Hyderabad.

Receives call

On Thursday, Kishore received a call on his cell phone from Prabhu, asking him to deposit Rs. 50,000 in his bank account to set Sabarish free.

Police teams sent

After establishing that the call originated from Secunderabd, a team left for Hyderabad and Secunderabad.

In addition, one more team was sent to Tirupati and Chittoor, another to Bangalore to meet Prabhu’s relatives, while a fourth team was scouting for clues in Chennai and its suburbs.

Meanwhile, Prabhu was on the move with Sabarish, hopping from one place to another in the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad for four days.

Realising that Chennai police was close on his heels, he asked S.Singh (30), a colleague at the liquor store he was working, to drop Sabarish at his house in Manali New Town.

Singh and Sabarish left Hyderabad by bus on Saturday evening and reached Koyambedu on Sunday afternoon and werepicked up by a waiting police team. Sabarish was restored to his parents and a search was on for Prabhu, Mr. Jangid said.

Murder case solved

Mr. Jangid said they had solved a 15-month-old murder case under the limits of Shankar Nagar police station near Pallavaram.

S. Ramanathan, a partner of a leather tannery unit in Nagalkeni near Pallavaram, was found dead with injuries on his head on the bund of Tiruneermalai Lake on November 29, 2007.

A cell phone and cash were also stolen from him.

Pending case re-opened

The Suburban Commissioner said pending cases were re-opened and a special team began its probe in the murder.

The team began to collect details about calls made from the stolen cell phone and began looking for clues in the coastal districts of the State.

They began to trace Prabhakaran, who was working in Ramanathan’s tannery about three years ago and quit over a trouble with him.

Culprit confesses to crime

They picked up Prabhakaran in Vaitheeswaran Koil in Nagapattinam district and during interrogation, he confessed that he had committed the murder along with two of his friends.