Cigarette stub could have caused blaze, say officials
TAMBARAM: A fire broke out in a scrap yard adjacent to the EMU loco shed at Tambaram on Thursday morning.
Firemen battled for more than two hours to bring the flames under control and snuffed out the smoke.
Fire broke out at 11.30 a.m
The fire broke out around 11.30 a.m. at the huge yard where scrap of all kinds cotton and sponge used in seats in the compartments, waste cloth, paper and plastic waste and oil was dumped.
Officials suspect the fire could have been caused due to a cigarette stub thrown into the scrap. Though they did not rule out foul play, officials suspect the cause of the fire to be an accident. Fire tenders from Tambaram and Guindy rushed to the spot and brought the flames under control.
But as there was a huge quantity of plastic and oil waste, smoke continued to smoulder.
A fire caused by an electric short circuit on Venkatamma Samadhi Street, in a leather company at Otteri, damaged goods on Wednesday night, police said. Three fire tenders were despatched after the fire occurred around 10 p.m. The fire was put out in half an hour.