Staff Reporter

TNEB officials defuse row between staff and contract workers

  • Workers of a private contractor picked a quarrel with TNEB staff
  • Supply lines through one source to Raja Annamalaipuram faulty

    CHENNAI: A major blackout was averted in the city, thanks to the vigilance on the part of Tamil Nadu Electricity Board officers, who intervened to defuse a row between staff and contract workers late on Monday night.

    The city has been witnessing rapid development works, especially on the 22-km IT corridor that stretches from Madhya Kailash Temple to Siruseri.

    The trouble started when a few workers of a private contractor, engaged in digging road for formation of a duct on the Old Mahabalipuram Road in Tiruvanmiyur police station limits, picked a quarrel with a few TNEB staff on the site, sources told The Hindu .

    While the TNEB men insisted that the work be carried out only in the presence of their designated engineers, the contractor's men went ahead with the work beyond 11 p.m.

    The sources said the contractors had already been clearly instructed not to dig road without the presence of TNEB officials concerned as many underground cables passed through the way from the two major sub-stations situated in Taramani and Tidel Park.

    They are the main source of electricity supply to various areas in the city covering parts of Thiruvanmiyur, Kottivakkam, Besant Nagar, Indra Nagar, Mylapore, among others, the sources said.

    The altercation snowballed into an exchange of blows and two TNEB men were injured in the melee. Senior TNEB officers rushed to the spot and ensured that the contractor stopped further digging of road.

    Asked whether there was any damage done to the cables, the officials said the supply lines through one source to Raja Annamalaipuram area was in fault. "We had to take adequate care that none of the expensive imported cables were damaged."

    The Tiruvanmiyur police have registered cases, based on complaints from the TNEB engineer and from the private contractor's representatives. A police officer said initial inquiries revealed that some workers in an inebriated mood had assaulted the TNEB staff.

    Further investigation is on.