Staff Reporter

Inspects damages to the school in mob violence

  • Team to submit report in two days
  • SFI demands CBCID inquiry into the incident

    OMALUR: State Minorities Commission on Tuesday held an inquiry into the death of the Plus Two girl student S. Sukanya of Fatima Girls Matriculation Higher Secondary School and inspected the extensive damages, which the school suffered in the mob violence on Saturday.

    The panel led by its chairman Fr. Vincent Chinnadurai and members V. Abdur Rahim and Vasanthi Stanley in its near two-hour sitting, inquired with the officials of revenue and police, school teachers, students and the general public. "We have collected almost all details in connection with the incidents," said its chairman after the inquiry. The team, he added, would submit its report to the government in two days.

    The Bishop of Salem, Singarayan, while addressing the media alleged that the violence that followed the death of the girl student pointed towards a "well-planned, systematic anti-social activity" instigated by a few elements that decided to decimate the school infrastructure.

    "It is not a spontaneous one as claimed by a few," Fr. Singarayan said. He said the school authorities had informed the police well in time about the student's death.

    The police personnel, who were present in the school, could have prevented the mob from entering the school premises.

    "But the reasons for the police to remain passive and mute witness till the mob completed its ransacking of the school infrastructure remain a mystery still," he said.

    Immediately after finding that the student was missing from the hostel, the school administration had informed the police and her parents. When the girl's body was found in the well, the school administration informed the police again. He also regretted and felt hurt about the exaggerated presentation of these incidents in a section of the media.

    The Bishop said the school administration, which was in the forefront of girl child education in the block for the last 43 years, deeply regretted the student's demise and expressed its heartfelt condolences.

    Members of the Students Federation of India staged a demonstration in front of the Sivadapuram Government Higher Secondary School demanding CBCID inquiry into the incident.