CHENNAI: A minor fire broke out inside an office building of a well-known apparel store, RmKV, on Usman Road on Sunday evening. No one was injured in the incident. Fire service and rescue personnel said that an electrical overload had ignited the flames.
Eyewitnesses said that thick smoke started coming from the first floor of the building situated behind Panagal Park around 4.00 p.m. on Sunday. On receiving the information the fire department sent two fire tenders from Saidapet and Teynampet to the spot to battle the blazes.
Three more fire tenders, three water tenders, an emergency rescue tender and five water tankers reached the spot after the flames intensified. After and hour-long battle, the fire was controlled and finally put out around 5.30 p.m.
S. Veeramani, Divisional Officer, Chennai City Central Division, Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services who was at the spot said that fire had occurred due to an electrical overloading in the building. “Computers, furniture and some papers inside five rooms in the building were damaged in the fire. Fortunately, there were only a few staff working in the building as it was a Sunday and they managed to escape before the flames started to spread,” Mr. Veeramani added.
The loss suffered due to the fire accident is yet to be ascertained.