Shyam Ranganathan

CHENNAI: The State government’s decision to shift the Tamil Nadu Dr. Ambedkar Law University to Perungudi has received a fillip with the University Grants Commission (UGC) set to constitute a committee for a field visit.

Vice-Chancellor S. Sachidanandam said on Wednesday that the Rs.100-crore proposal was sent by the university in June 2008. The shifting would be possible only after the UGC sent its expert committee to inspect and approve the proposed site.

Prof. Sachidanandam said that during his recent visit to New Delhi, he had met UGC officials, who assured him that they would constitute the committee within the week, and that the field visit would take place soon after.

Sharing of cost

“We are hoping that the UGC will bear 75 per cent of the cost with the State government already indicating that it will give us the remaining 25 per cent.

The land has already been allotted by the government so I am hoping to convince the UGC to send the committee immediately,” Prof. Sachidanandam said.

“We are initially looking to move the academic block and build hostel facilities for men and women and also an auditorium to the Perungudi campus,” he said.

The issue of the initial grant given by the UGC to new universities, which was pending since March this year, had also been resolved with the UGC assuring him that it release the Rs.2-crore grant immediately, Prof. Sachidanandam said.

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL