CHENNAI: The University of Madras has no plans to impose a ban on mobile phones on its campuses, said Vice-Chancellor S. Ramachandran on Monday.
“I see no need to ban cell phones as most of our students are mature enough to focus on their study,” Mr. Ramachandran said in response to a question at a press conference on Monday.
According to him, the problem of abuse was mostly to do with camera phones. The university would consider restrictions on the use of these devices. The Vice-Chancellor said banning mobile phones in the constituent colleges of undergraduate study would be taken up, if any complaint about abuse cropped up in these campuses.
“So far, we have not received any complaint from faculty members, students or parents”.
The university appears to disfavour a suo motu ban on mobile phones primarily because it had been increasingly adopting communication technology to reshape education.
In fact, the university is pressing ahead with a ‘Virtual University Project,’ where one of the e-learning modes would involve dissemination of material via the students’ mobile phones.