CHENNAI: The mechanical engineering wing office of the Chennai Divisional Railway office at Park Town was damaged in a fire on Wednesday evening. No one was injured. The cause of the fire could not be immediately established, fire service personnel said.
The fire broke out at 6.40 p.m. on the seventh floor of the building, said officials of the Fire and Rescue Services Department.
Two fire tenders from the High Court station and several others, including one with a sky lift, were pressed into service to douse the flames, said A. Kumarasami, Assistant Divisional Officer (North) of the department.
It took the fire service personnel over 45 minutes to bring the flames under control, he added.
Three hours after the fire, acrid smoke hung in the air and the gutted room was hot as a furnace. The blackened walls, peeled ceiling, melted chairs and tables were hot to touch. Several computers and photocopying machines were damaged.
The blades of the ceiling fans were twisted out of shape. Furniture and several bureaus stacked with documents were destroyed. Fire service personnel worked amid fear that the roof might cave in.
Railway officials said that they suspected an electrical short circuit to have caused the fire.
They were also checking other electrical installations in the building as a precautionary measure.
A three-member committee comprising an assistant electrical engineer, an assistant mechanical engineer and an assistant security commissioner had been formed to inquire into the cause of the fire, officials said.