Salem council had already approved privatisation of sanitary works in
SALEM: The door-to-door garbage collection and cleaning of drainage channels through a private firm will begin in 21 wards in the city from the first week of July.
Interacting with mediapersons regarding the Beautifying of Salem Project at a meeting chaired by Mayor J. Rekha Priyadarshini here on Saturday, Corporation Commissioner M. Jayaraman said the council had already approved the privatisation of sanitary works in the 21 wards.
The sanitary workers in these wards would be deployed in other wards, which would facilitate the civic body to carry out the sanitary works effectively. Earlier, the mediapersons pointed out the poor sanitary conditions in the city, which resulted in the proliferation of mosquitoes in lakhs.
The lack of proper mechanism to monitor the sanitary workers was the main reason for the poor conditions, they said.
They suggested the Corporation to evolve an effective monitoring mechanism. Volunteer groups could also be formed to supervise the sanitary works. The mediapersons also asked the civic body to check the indiscriminate cutting of roads in the city.
The Mayor assured them that the suggestions of the media persons would be included in the project. Deputy Mayor C. Paneerselvam and senior officials were present in the meeting.
The Central government had announced a family pension plan for the mentally and physically challenged children of ex-servicemen and war widows.
A press release said ex-servicemen/widows in Salem and Namakkal districts could obtain information about the plan from the Ex-service Welfare Office.