Staff Reporter

Toxic gas emanating from tank takes its toll

TAMBARAM: A 28-year-old man suffocated while cleaning a residential sewage tank at Ramalinga Nagar (Extension) in Madipakkam on Wednesday.

The police identified the victim as Jagan Balu.

Working as a cleaner in a sewage clearing lorry operated by a private agency, he had come for the job in the lorry driven by Shankar.

Firemen from the Tambaram Fire Station said Jagan Balu choked on inhaling the toxic gas emanating from the tank and fell into the sewage. Though Shankar rushed to help, he too fell unconscious on inhaling the fumes.

Neighbours tried in vain to save Jagan Balu, but pulled out Shankar and rushed him to a private hospital on the Velachery-Madipakkam Link Road. He was said to be out of danger. Jagan Balu's body was retrieved by firemen.