TAMBARAM: A total of 85 passengers and crew of an Adyar-bound MTC bus escaped unhurt when a fire broke out in the vehicle on Tuesday afternoon. The bus (No. C 51) was on its way to Adyar from East Tambaram. Soon after it left the Neelankarai bus stop on East Coast Road, thick smoke emanated from the engine. The crew and passengers rushed out. Residents and traders in the area tried to put out the fire by spraying water and throwing sand.
Meanwhile, personnel at Neelankarai police station and the Fire Station in Thiruvanmiyur were alerted.
MTC staff from Adyar depot reached the spot and concluded that an electrical short circuit in one of the wires in the engine caused the fire. A spare vehicle was arranged that took the stranded passengers towards Adyar.