COIMBATORE: A seven-year-old girl living in a weavers’ colony in Mettupalayam, 40 km north of the city, died of dengue on Sunday at a private hospital here. The death triggered concern as monsoon had just set in and unsafe collection of rain water would enable the breeding of mosquitoes that carried and transmitted the disease-causing virus. Concern gripped the weavers’ colony at Thanneer Thadam at Alangombu in the Mettupalayam sub-division of Coimbatore District when they came to know that A. Preethi died of dengue.
A report given by the hospital stated cardio-respiratory arrest as the cause of death. What led to this were dengue haemorrhagic fever, dengue shock syndrome, massive pulmonary haemorrhage and multi-organ dysfunction.
With reports of a boy in the neighbourhood suspected to be suffering from dengue, public health authorities began efforts on Sunday to find out whether there were more such cases in the colony.