R. Sujatha

15-year-old girl’s kidneys, liver, corneas harvested

We found that she had suffered subarachnoid haemorrhage: hospital dean

Jayabharathi’s liver was transplanted to a

51-year-old non-alcoholic patient

CHENNAI: The organs of a 15-year-old girl Jayabharathi, who was declared brain-dead at Government Stanley Hospital, were harvested and transplanted on Sunday.

Jayabharathi, daughter of casual labourer R. Veerappan and Lakshmi, was a resident of Bakthasvatsalam Colony, Vyasarpadi. She was a Standard XI student of Corporation School, Perambur. “ When she was preparing to leave for school, she complained of headache. As she screamed in pain, we took her to a private hospital, which referred us to Stanley Hospital. On Friday night, they said she was brain-dead and asked us if we would be willing to donate her organs,” said her uncle Muniyandi.

Hospital dean A. Priya said, “She had been complaining of headache and we found that she had suffered subarachnoid haemorrhage. For the first two days, she was in the head injury ward and was later shifted to the cadaver maintenance unit in the surgical gastroenterology ward. After assessing her, we found that the brain was not functioning.” The parents were counselled on organ donation.

The girl’s kidneys, liver and corneas were harvested. One kidney was sent to SRMC while the liver and another kidney were transplanted to waitlisted patients in Stanley Hospital. The corneas were sent to Government Eye Hospital’s eye bank.

Jayabharathi’s liver was transplanted to a 51-year-old non-alcoholic patient suffering from end-stage liver disease, said gastroenterologist R. Surendran, who transplanted the organ in a 13-hour surgery.

This was the first complete cadaver transplant at the hospital, where on November 15 a five-bed, equipped unit was commissioned to maintain patients declared brain-dead. The patients are cared for at no cost till such time as the family resolves to donate organs or until patients’ death.

A search for the heart was mounted with the Zonal Coordination Committee in Karnataka but no match was available, said J. Amalorpavanathan, coordinator of cadaver transplantation.

Transplant at GH

At the Government General Hospital, 32-year-old patient Raja was declared brain-dead on Thursday.

The patient’s heart valves were harvested and sent to Madras Medical Mission, Mogappair. The liver and one of the kidneys were sent to CMC Vellore.

Another kidney was transplanted at the Government General Hospital. The corneas were sent to the Egmore eye bank.