The acid attack victim from Karaikal, J. Vinodhini, has again been moved to the private hospital where she underwent treatment until three days ago.

For the 23-year-old, it is a traumatising journey from one hospital to the other.

It has been an arduous journey for the young woman since the attack. The initial delay in seeking treatment has resulted in severe damage and the only hope is reconstruction of her face, which will take a long time and is also expensive.

It was lack of funds that sent the family back to GH, this time to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital for specialised, multi-disciplinary treatment at subsidised cost.

Vinodhini was admitted to the pay ward and the wounds were dressed in an operation theatre. Doctors caring for her told her family that she should be given nutritious food and did not require immediate surgery.

She was apparently taken off sedatives and prescribed lower doses of medicine to expedite the healing process.

However, by Wednesday evening, the family had sought permission from GH authorities to move her back to the private hospital where she had been treated earlier.

“We let her go as we have to abide by the wish of the patients and their family,” said a doctor who had treated her at the GH.

According to the victim’s family, the girl had expressed a strong desire to be treated by a doctor familiar with her condition.

Her uncle Ramesh said the family had spent around Rs. 2.8 lakh on hospitalisation and another Rs. 1.2 lakh on medicines so far.

Though she can speak well, she remains covered under yards of gauze. The wound on her arm has not healed yet.

“There are boils on her arms and they have not healed like the other wounds. There is still no word on surgery to bring her sight back,” he said.

Mr. Ramesh further said the minister of state for parliamentary affairs K. Narayanaswami had asked the family to come to Puducherry on Friday to receive a cheque towards her treatment.

So far, her family has spent around Rs. 4 lakh on hospitalisation

and medicines