AMBUR: Three employees of a tannery unit at Periavarigam near Ambur died after inhaling poisonous gas emanating from an effluent pipe linked to the common effluent treatment plant (CETP) here on Wednesday.

The police said Jayapal (34) of Mittalam and Doss (45) of Alangkuppam village near Ambur were rectifying a fault in the pipe that passed through an effluent storage tank. Mohan (38), electrician and resident of Govindapuram village, was sitting on top of the tank supervising the work.

Jayapal and Doss inhaled the poisonous gas and fainted. Mohan, who jumped into the tank to rescue them, also fainted. All of them died on the spot. The Umarabath Police have registered a case. — Staff Reporter

More In: TAMIL NADU | NATIONAL