Staff Reporter

BERHAMPUR: Two persons including a child died and more than five persons became seriously ill after consuming poisonous mushrooms in Kandhamal district on Thursday.

Alongwith monsoon rains, reports of serious ailment and deaths caused by consumption of poisonous mushrooms have started to pour in from areas of south Orissa.

On Wednesday 10 persons of two families, one from the Lanjipalli area of the city and the other from Laxmipur village of Chatrapur block in Ganjam district had become seriously ill after consumption of poisonous mushrooms. They were admitted in the MKCG medical college.

According to sources all the persons are being treated in the Tumudibandha hospital.

The affected persons are from two families. Sumana Majhi (8) from Balamgaon village of Tumudibandha panchayat died while she was being shifted to the hospital.