Staff Reporter

BHUBANESWAR: Steel major Tata Steel Limited here on Thursday said it hoped to start construction for its proposed 6 million tonne per annum capacity integrated steel mill at Kalinganagar in Orissa’s Jajpur district from the mid-August next.

The venture has been hanging fire due to land acquisition complexities, which started following death of 13 tribal in police firing over construction of boundary wall around the project area in 2006.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of an international convention “Clean, green and sustainable technologies in iron and steel making,” here, Tata Steel’s Executive Director for India and South East Asia H. N. Nerurkar said the company hoped to overcome the displacement problem soon and once the rehabilitation process was over the construction was expected to be commenced from mid-August next.

Investment

Tata Steel had initially envisaged an investment of Rs. 15,400 crore for its 6 mtpa capacity steel project at Kalinganagar. The project could not take off immediately as death of tribals in police firing had spurred anti-displacement movement in the region making it difficult for the company to go ahead with the desired pace.

As per the original plan, the project would have come up on 2,400 acres of land. In past three years Tata Steel has added more components to the plan. Now the steel project would be set up on 3,460 acres of land. The domestic steel major has also upwardly revised its project outlay to Rs. 21,000 crore.

Tata Steel has started construction of an off-site steel fabrication yard and onsite incoming material yard for the project. The company had earlier ordered equipment worth Rs. 6,000 crore for the steel mill.

The families enumerated by the company to be displaced in order to facilitate the steel project are 1,195 families. Mr. Nerurkar said 80 per cent to 85 per cent of these families had been rehabilitated.