Vinay Surendra Gangrade, a 24-year-old software engineer from Madhya Pradesh, went through a ‘telephonic interview' by self-styled executives of an international telecom service provider. He came to Bhubaneswar for certificate verification and received offer letter for his appointment immediately.

When Vinay went to join his workplace at Indore as Graduate Engineer Trainee in switching, he received shock of his life. No office by such name existed in Indore.

Between conducting telephonic interview and handing over of the offer letter, the cheats made the gullible graduate engineer cough up Rs. 1.32 lakhs.

The Sub-Divisional Judicial Magistrate, Bhubaneswar, on Tuesday ordered inspector in-charge of Nayapalli police station to register a case in this connection and investigate the fraud.

According to petitioner, the persons who identified them as human resource manager and top executives of a telephone company, telephoned him saying that they had picked up his bio-data from a job site. Vinay was asked to go through interview over phone and come to Bhubaneswar for certificate verification in October last.

They had provided him address of the office at Fortune Tower in Bhubaneswar. But the tricksters tactically did not let Vinay visit their office, instead they did the certificate verification in a coffee shop.

But what was baffling was that miscreants had hosted a website in name of the company and duped the victim into believing that they were indeed executives of the company.

While handing over an offer letter with Rs. 4.2 lakh per annum package, the miscreants had sought Rs. 52,500 as security money. Subsequently, they executed an agreement. Vinay paid the amount in cash. Subsequently, they asked him to deposit Rs. 80,000 more towards purchase of a laptop and other accessories. The amount was reportedly deposited by Vinay's uncle in an account.

“I went through their website which was exact copy of main telecom service provider's homepage. I had also registered my name in that website.

After I came to realise that I had been cheated, I tried to trace the website again. But no website existed by that time,” Vinay said from Madhya Pradesh.

Relatives of the victim reportedly went to Nayapalli police station to file complaint that he had been cheated. But the police official allegedly refused to entertain the complaint. Finally he went to court of SDJM seeking justice.

He was made to cough up Rs 1.32 lakhs by self-styled executives of a telecom company