Staff Reporter

People take to streets following death of an Amarnath protester on Wednesday

Jammu: Violence returned to the streets of Jammu on Thursday even as an indefinite curfew was imposed in the city and surrounding areas. Defiance of curfew orders resulted in injuries to at least 35 persons including a large number of security personnel.

The death of a 32-year-old protester on Wednesday who was sitting on hunger strike in support of the demand for restoration of land to the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board was the prime instigation for fresh round of violence.

Apprehending violence in the city, authorities imposed curfew. Even then in several parts of Jammu particularly Bishnah people defied curfew orders.

There was tension in Bishnah when thousands of protesters assembled for the cremation of the protestor who died on Wednesday. The protesters attacked public property. The police tried to quell the enraged mob which led to the injury of 15 police personnel and several protesters. Curfew was relaxed from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. which passed off peacefully.

Leela Karan Sharma, the Chairman of Sangharsh Samiti -- a conglomerate of political, social and religious outfits formed to demand land in favour of Shrine Board -- said, “We would not allow the martyrdom of Kuldip Kumar to go waste and will take this agitation to its logical conclusion. The agitation will continue till the time the land is given back to the Shrine Board.”

Ashok Khajuria , president of State BJP, which is supporting the Samiti, issued a threat to takeover the private properties of all the Valley politicians in Jammu and the rest of the country if the Shrine board is not given land. Samiti has extended the strike call till Sunday.

The local police are yet to registered the death of Kudip Kumar as suicide as post mortem report has still not been completed. Station House Officer Pacca Danga Kewal Krishan told The Hindu: “Only when the report reaches us, we can confirm whether that it was a case of suicide or not.

However the police have confirmed that a note written by Kuldip Kumar before his death clearly indicates that he took his life in support of demand for handing over the land to Shrine Board.