One of the four accused in the case of gangrape of a minor girl who had later immolated herself at Rayagada town was found to be a juvenile.

According to the recent medical reports, he was found to be 17 or 18-year old. So, he was shifted from Rayagada jail to the juvenile observation home in Berhampur on Wednesday, said inspector in charge of Rayagada police station Prashant Bhupati.

Mr. Bhupati said that medical test of the particular accused was conducted after his arrest in January. At that time, the medical report put his age at 18 years. Later, his family members had appealed to the court that the age of the youth was below 18 years. The Rayagada sessions court had ordered for another medical examination to ascertain the age of the arrested youth. The second medical test came in favour of the accused whose age was found to be less than 18 years. As he was a juvenile, he could no more be kept in a general prison.

Meanwhile, the police has already filed the charge sheet against the four accused involved in the case. The gangrape had created a sensation all over the State.

The victim was an underage orphan who used to live with her grandparents at Anjiapeta area of Rayagada town. She was gangraped on January 2 that followed her self-immolation attempt the next day. Information regarding the reason behind her plight came to fore only after she gave a statement to the police on January 6 at Rayagada district hospital.

The Rayagada district administration admitted the seriously injured girl to a private hospital in Visakhapatnam for treatment, where she died on January 15. But on January 11, the girl gave a detailed statement about the incident before the metropolitan magistrate of Visakhapatnam. She had also identified photographs of the four persons involved in the gangrape.

Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had announced Rs. 10 lakh as an ex gratia payment to the kin of the victim. The payment was made through a fixed deposit made in the name of the younger sister of the victim.