Correspondent

CUTTACK: Battling with over 90 per cent burn injuries for over 18 hours, 22-year-old Malati Mallick succumbed to her injuries at SCB medical college and hospital here on Sunday. Two of her relatives are still struggling in the hospital here with similar intensity of injuries.

The Beheras of Mahanga village under Bantala panchayat of Kendrapada district were admitted to the Cuttack hospital on Saturday evening with critical burn injuries when fire crackers stored in their houses caught fire in the afternoon. At least six rooms of their house were gutted which were used as a makeshift mini fire cracker unit.

According to reports reaching here, one of the rooms caught fire when a cracker went off. Soon the inferno engulfed the remaining rooms which were packed with fire crackers.