Special Correspondent

700 colonies to be regularised

Second Cabinet meet held outside Jaipur

Five senior Ministers remain absent again

JAIPUR: The Rajasthan Cabinet has decided to set aside five per cent of the existing 30 per cent reservation for women in Government jobs for widows and bring the offices of the Mayor and Deputy Mayor under the purview of the Lok Ayukt.

In another significant decision, the Cabinet resolved to regularise some 700 residential colonies which have come up on agricultural land over a period.

The Cabinet meeting in Jodhpur, presided over by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje, was the second of its kind held outside Jaipur. A few months ago the first Cabinet meeting outside Jaipur was held in Kota. This year’s main Independence Day celebrations are also scheduled to be held in Jodhpur.

The two Cabinet meetings had some similarities as five senior Ministers, including dissidents Ghanshyam Tiwari and Madan Dilwar kept away on both the occasions. The reasons for the absence varied in the case of each of the Ministers.

Parliamentary Affairs Minister Rajendra Singh Rathore, who briefed journalists in Jodhpur, said service rules in 101 departments in the State were being revised to accommodate the quota for widowed women. As for the decision on Mayors, the posts of chairpersons of municipal councils and municipalities were already under the purview of the Lok Ayukt. Necessary amendments would be brought in the Lok Ayukt and Upa Lokayukt Institution Act, 1973, to accommodate the new groups.

The Cabinet resolved to liberalise the conditions for regularisation of the residential colonies on agricultural land in the State by allowing 75 per cent of the land under residential area. The remaining 25 per cent has to be kept for public facilities. The stipulated width of roads within the colonies has been brought down to 25 feet and 20 feet respectively from the existing 30 feet in the case of colonies in Grade II and Grade III towns. In Grade I cities such as Jaipur, Jodhpur and Kota, the stipulated width remains 30 feet. The regularisation fees for plots in private colonies would range from Rs.45 to Rs.80 per sq. yard. In the case of colonies on Government land the regularisation fee would be 25 per cent of the reserved price.

The Cabinet also cleared a proposal for conditional regularisation of non-residential activities going on in the residential areas. This decision would be applicable in 20 cities and towns in areas with no archaeological and historic sites, places of heritage, tourist spots, circles and junctions.

Other major decisions include making the Transport Department the nodal agency for curbing road accidents in the State and inviting NGOs, charity trusts and private medical colleges to manage Government health centres for five years under public-private partnership.