CUTTACK: Cuttack city police after forming several teams have conducted around 12 raids in the past 24 hours in search of Tinu Sahu of local Kalyan Nagar who is suspected to be the mastermind behind the circulation of porno CDs of 22-year-old girl Asima Mohanty, a mass communication student, who committed suicide on Monday.

“We have raided almost all the probable places in the city and outside in search of the accused. We are hopeful of apprehending the automobile engineering student soon”, said Madhupatna police station Inspector R.K. Prusty on Friday.

Prusty refused to divulge anything further, saying that the police investigations would suffer. He, however, added that all possible angles behind the suicide were being investigated.

Karate coach held

Police, on Friday, detained a karate coach of Tinu and released him later in the evening after questioning. Sources however, added that not only Tinu is absconding now but several of his friends have also gone underground, which indicates that a racket comprising many people was behind the blackmail of the girl after taking her indecent and scurrilous photographs.

Meanwhile, the State Women Commission after taking suo moto cognizance of the case began investigations into the matter. Namita Panda of SWC visited the Madhupatna police station and looked into the FIR filed by the girl’s father and the case diary .

Panda also suggested that apart from charges of defamation, abetment, blackmail and criminal intimidation with common intention; charges under section 417 (cheating) and 501 (maligning) of IPC should have been levelled against the accused. The SWC also met the father of the girl and visited their house at Balisahi in Khan Nagar.

But what has now baffled the common people in the city is the manner in which the city police are approaching such a sensational case.

Instead of waiting for the family members of the girl to file the FIR, police should have immediately taken suo moto cognizance of the fact that the girl committed suicide under mysterious circumstances.

Even as the media reports had indicated much before that the girl was forced to commit suicide and some of her objectionable photographs were circulated in the market, the police did not act instantaneously giving a chance to the perpetrators of the crime to go underground, allege some locals.