CUTTACK: Mayadhar Sasmal, 35, and his mother Lata, 65, died when they came in contact with a high-voltage power line that was passing through an iron rod on the terrace of their house on Friday morning at Hindolkothi under Bidanasi police station limits in the district.

“Due to last night’s thundershowers, the live wire perhaps drooped low and came in contact with the rod,” said the police. Sasmal, a local milk trader, was the first to be electrocuted when he went on to the terrace to dry clothes. Hearing her son shout for help, Lata too rushed to the terrace and tried to pull her son away from the iron rod. “Both of them died on the spot,” the police said.

Second incident

This was the second such incident in the city. Last week, two friends died on the spot after coming in contact with a plastic rope that was hung dangerously on a busy lane at Madhupatna Square.

Dies of asphyxiation

A professional well cleaner died of asphyxiation when he could not come out of a 30-foot well at Nirgundi Railway colony under Tangi police station on Friday. The police said Amina Samal of Harianta village died inside the well while his associate Ranjan Hansda fell ill while trying to save the former. Hansda was shifted to SCB Medical College hospital.