The bus they were travelling in touched a high-voltage wireh="1701" height="1291"/>
Mandla:Tragedy struck 28 members of a marriage party, most of them women, when they were electrocuted after the bus they were travelling in touched a high-voltage wire and caught fire in this Madhya Pradesh district.
The mishap took place when an iron box and almirah kept on top of the bus came into contact with the overhead wire near Surajpur village, Mandla Collector K. K. Khare said.
The deceased, all tribals, comprised 23 women, two men and three boys, he said, adding that there were 36 people in the bus.
Six injured are undergoing treatment at the district hospital.
The marriage party was returning from Sukaria village to Doni village.
A criminal case has been registered against the bus owner, driver and conductor, the police said, adding that the driver and conductor jumped from the vehicle when it came into contact with the wire.
In Bhopal, Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan announced a financial assistance of Rs.1 lakh each to the families of the deceased and free treatment to the injured.
He said a magisterial inquiry has been ordered into the accident. - PTI