Acids kept in the open in empty soft drink and packaged drinking water bottles can lead to catastrophic accidents.

According to doctors, if not treated, ingestion of small amount (10 ml) can lead to irreversible damage to the food pipe and lifelong inability to eat and drink.

Sir Ganga Ram Hospital authorities say 20-25 cases reach the hospital’s emergency room every year, with peak incidence between 1-3 years of age.

“Ingestion of such corrosives burn the food pipe from inside and cause ulcers. These ulcers bleed and perforate, which is often life threatening. They cause ulcers in the stomach, which at times can be very severe,” Paediatric Gastroenterologist Nishant Wadhwa said. — PTI

More In: NEW DELHI | NATIONAL