The Uttar Pradesh Government, on the recommendations of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), has paid Rs.3 lakh each to the family of four children who were electrocuted when a high tension wire fell in a canal where they were bathing.

The incident happened at Salempur village in Saharanpur village on May 23, 2010. Three officials, including a Sub-Divisional Officer, an Assistant Engineer and a lineman of electricity board were found prima-facie guilty of the carelessness and were suspended.

Initially, the U.P. Government paid Rs.1 lakh each as monetary relief to the families. But the Commission asked the authorities to increase the amount to Rs.3 lakh each. Proof of payment had been submitted by the U.P. Government to NHRC.

More In: NEW DELHI | NATIONAL