Three incidents of rape have been reported from different parts of the city during the past 24 hours.

The family of a 15-year-old girl, a resident of Ranhola in West Delhi, has alleged that she was raped by a 40-year-old man on Friday. “She returned home in the afternoon after which the accused gained entry into the house and forced himself on her. A woman living in the neighbourhood caught him in the act and raised an alarm. The locals then overpowered the man and handed him over to us,” said a police officer, adding that the allegations are being verified.

An eight-year-old girl, a resident of Tilak Nagar, has accused her father of sexually abusing her for the past two months. The incident came to light when the girl narrated her plight to a neighbour who helped her contact the police.

Based on the complaint, the police have registered a case and arrested the father. The victim’s mother was recently arrested in Himachal Pradesh for alleged involvement in a prostitution racket.

In yet another case, a 21-year-old girl lodged a complaint with the Hauz Qazi police station alleging that her friend, Akhtar, had raped her on several occasions. The victim was 14 years old when she met the accused for the first time. They gradually came close, following which Akhtar established physical relationship with her.

The accused, who runs a hotel in the Capital and belongs to Lucknow, also took some obscene photographs of the girl. When she started pestering him for marriage, he vanished from the scene. The police have registered a case and are making efforts to track down the accused.

In another incident, two young men were beaten up by the area residents and handed over to the police at Alipur on Friday afternoon after they barged into the house of a girl and allegedly molested her.

Meanwhile, in an incident reported from near JPN Hospital, a Class XII student has been accused of molesting a 10-year-old girl. The boy took the girl to a nearby park on some pretext and was allegedly molesting her when she raised an alarm. At this some passers-by came to her rescue, roughed up the accused and handed him over to the police.