Other co-accused are yet to be nabbed, say Police

Four persons who were allegedly part of the large group that attacked the employees of Ponty Chadha’s brother Hardeep, driving them out of the farmhouse in Chhattarpur here barely an hour before the two siblings were gunned down in a fierce exchange of fire this past Saturday, have been arrested.

They have been identified as Udayraj Singh (44), a resident of Meerut in Uttar Pradesh; Rajpal (36), a resident of Rampur in U.P.; Bhupinder Singh Bisht, a resident of Friends Colony East in South Delhi; and Anand Singh Bisht (31), a resident of Almora in Uttarakhand.

Delhi Police Joint Commissioner Vivek Gogia said Udayraj was the private security guard of Ponty Chadha and Rajpal the security guard of his daughter. Bhupinder worked as the business tycoon’s protocol manager and had allegedly led the assailants inside the farmhouse, while Anand was driving one of the vehicles in which they had reached the spot, he added.

The police have registered a case of house trespass, attempted murder, dacoity, kidnapping and wrongful confinement against them.

The four accused were produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Sandeep Garg who sent them to police custody till November 25. The police had sought five days’ remand saying the other co-accused are yet to be arrested in the case and these four accused have to be confronted with the articles seized from the farmhouse.

Meanwhile, another Delhi court remanded two others, Vijay Kumar and Madan Rana, arrested in connection with an alleged attempt to evict Hardeep’s men from a Bijwasan farmhouse the same day, to police custody.

For his part, Mr. Gogia said Ponty Chadha’s men in two groups had simultaneously struck at the two farmhouses around 11 a.m. on Saturday. The assailants used firearms only in Chhattarpur. However, the number of firearms used in the crime is yet to be ascertained.

It is learnt that the police are yet to get a clear reply from the All-India Institute of Medical Sciences doctors, who conducted the post-mortems, on the exact number of bullets that hit Ponty Chadha. While four bullets were found lodged inside, the others pierced the body. The police are also examining the footage of the CCTV cameras installed in the area for clues. However, sources said no CCTVs were installed inside the premises.

In another development, the statement of Sukhdev Singh Namdhari, the sacked Uttarakhand Minority Commission chairman on whose complaint a murder case has been registered in connection with the murders, is being cross-checked to ascertain his role and the purpose of his presence on the scene of crime.

Mr. Namdhari, who for now is being treated as an informant in the case, was previously booked in 14 criminal cases. In his complaint, he claimed that he had gone to meet Ponty Chadha at his 21 Chhattarpur farmhouse around 9-30 a.m. on the fateful day. Around noon, he claimed, the two went to the 42 Central Drive farmhouse where Hardeep allegedly opened fire at Ponty Chadha’s manager Narender and then trained the gun towards them. According to the complaint, Hardeep’s gunners and personal security guards also fired at them.

However, in their statements to the police, three Punjab Police personnel and two private guards of Hardeep have claimed that they reached the spot after the entire action was over.

The police have also questioned Mr. Namdhari’s personal security officer Sachin Tyagi, who allegedly shot Hardeep in the retaliatory firing, whose statement is being compared with that of Mr. Namdhari.

The police have also recorded Narender’s statement, which along with those of the others present on the scene of crime is being analysed to reconstruct the sequence of events leading up to the murders.

  • Accused sent to police custody till November 25

  • Sukhdev Singh Namdhari’s statement being cross-checked