Body of the victim was found in a park this past month

The paramour of a young woman whose body was found in Indraprastha Park in South-East Delhi this past month has been arrested. The body of the victim, who wore bridal make-up and a newly bought sari, was found in the park on April 23. Her throat had been slit with a sharp weapon. The police found her belongings lying nearby.

Her photographs were published in newspapers in Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Gujarat and circulated at inter-State bus terminals for identification. Teams were also dispatched to different places.

The breakthrough came when one Manohar Singh, a resident of West Vinod Nagar, contacted the police on May 14, stating that one of his relatives had seen his 21-year-old daughter Sandhya's photograph at the Anand Vihar Inter-State Bus Terminal.

Manohar told the police that Sandhya had an affair with 26-year-old Jitender Singh, a resident of Mandawali. However, Manohar objected to the relationship and lodged a complaint with the police against Jitender in September 2009.

Sandhya, who was sent to her relatives in Nangloi, allegedly attempted suicide a few days later. She was somehow saved and then taken to her native place for marriage with one Deepak. On the day of marriage, she again tried to end her life by consuming some poisonous substance. The police said she was in a semi-conscious state when her marriage was solemnised.

Sandhya remained in touch with Jitender even after her marriage.

When her in-laws came to know about their affair, they allegedly started ill-treating her. She then called up Jitender on April 14 and the next day ran away from her husband's house.


Suspecting Jitender's role, the police confronted him and during interrogation, he purportedly confessed to having committed the murder. He allegedly disclosed that Sandhya reached the Capital on April 16, after which they stayed with one of his friends in neighbouring Ghaziabad. But they had to leave the place soon.

All this while, Sandhya kept pestering him to get married. A frustrated Jitender then allegedly planned to get rid of her. On the fateful day, he bought two paper-cutting knives in Mandawali and then asked her to meet him in Patparganj with all her belongings, said the police.

The two went to Indraprastha Park and stayed there till late evening, but a security guard asked them to leave around 9 p.m.

They again entered by the park by scaling the wall along the railway tracks and performed some marriage rituals. Jitender then allegedly slit her throat and fled from the spot along with her mobile phones, her voter identification card, photographs and a diary.

The police said the accused, who works as plumber, was arrested in a mobile phone snatching case at Shakarpur in 2007.