Five members of a family attempted self-immolation at the Municipal Corporation office here on Wednesday, to protest a drive to evict them from their house, leading to the death of one, police said.
Originally hailing from Nepal, they live in Chhotu Nagar near Raiya Dhar here. The five poured kerosene on themselves and set themselves ablaze in the corporation’s central zone office, from where they were shifted to Rajkot Civil Hospital.
Police Commissioner H. P. Singh said the incident was the fall-out of a dispute between Chotu Nagar Cooperative Housing Society and the family, who have been living there for the last few years.
The house was allegedly an unauthorised construction and the society had made several representations to the civic body, seeking the family’s eviction. Court cases were going on.
“Bharat Mansingh (40) died while undergoing treatment, while the other four have sustained severe burns,” the Commissioner said.
The others were identified as Rekha, Asha, Vasumati and Girish Mansingh.
Following the incident, a mob torched a State transport bus, while the Opposition Congress gave a call for a bandh on Thursday.
Mayor Janak Kotak said the Corporation had nothing to do with the incident, and it had no plans to demolish their house.
The Corporation would conduct a probe, he said, adding the injured would be shifted to a private hospital.